Sunday, March 24, 2013

Steve's Upcoming Counseling Session

We just set the following email to the Google Device Support Team:

_________________________

Hi, Google Device Support Team.

It's  been a while since we spoke, but I recently discovered that someone in your organization has been (I hope inadvertently) disseminating inaccurate information about this Nexus 4 bug, and I thought you'd want to know about it right away.  

Here's the deal: you see, we all know that the Nexus 4 was not designed on purpose to prevent wifi and bluetooth from being used at the same time.  We all know that it is a bug.  Well, all of us except for Steve, apparently. Here, read for yourselves:  


Now, we all have the utmost confidence that someone in your organization will immediately take Steve aside for a private little counselling session about the inappropriateness of, shall we say, bending the truth regarding this particular flaw in the Nexus 4 product.

Thanks for your prompt attention to this matter.

Best,

--Doug

________________________


(BTW, we don't think this is a picture of Steve, but it could be.)

4 comments:

  1. Doug is there ANYTHING I could do to help my nexus 4 connect to my wifi? Whats is this Qualcomm driver thing I keep hearing about?

    I'll do whatever it takes before I decide to sell this phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3:41,

    The Nexus 4 uses a radio chipset manufactured by Qualcomm. The wifi driver code therefore is also produced by Qualcomm, and it has at least one bug in it that causes problems when the screen is blanked, as described here: http://things-linux.blogspot.com/2013/01/it-was-known-issue.html

    There is a beta version of the driver code that is being tested which seems to solve this particular problem. I have been testing it on my phone for the last three weeks, but I am also running the latest CyanogenMod ROM, and not the stock Google image. It was necessary to root my phone to do this, of course, not something the ordinary user should be expected to do.

    The problems you are having with your phone could be caused by the Qualcomm driver, or it could be caused by other known bugs in Android 4.2.2; impossible to say, long distance. Next month Google is expected to release Android 5 Key Lime Pie, which may, or may not fix the know problems with the Nexus 4. It will be interesting to see.

    --Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could manage a root but how is it installed? Is it the a rom or kernel is done?

      Delete
  3. Device drivers like the wifi and bluetooth radio drivers are kernel modules. Here is a kernel compiled with the new Qualcomm drivers which, in theory, you could install over a stock Nexus 4 Android 4.2.2 image:

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=39295700#post39295700

    ReplyDelete