Thursday, February 14, 2013

Stealthy

Interesting.

After a particularly, um, direct post on the blog here, we immediately see a bunch of stealthy proxy vpn-masked visits from Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, and other communities geographically near the Immense Google Mother Ship.

For example:



Page Views:
2
Entry Page Time:
14 Feb 2013 17:42:18
Visit Length:
2 mins 47 secs
Browser:
Chrome 24.0
OS:
Win8
Resolution:
1920x1080
*Total Visits:
1
Location:
San Jose, California, United States
IP Address:
Proxypacket Vpn (173.245.86.57) [Label IP Address]
Referring URL:
(No referring link)
Entry Page:
Exit Page:


Or this black pajama-clad visitor:


Page Views:
1
Entry Page Time:
14 Feb 2013 17:25:40
Browser:
Facebook Bot
OS:
Unknown
Resolution:
Unknown
*Total Visits:
1
Location:
Palo Alto, California, United States
IP Address:
Facebook (69.171.248.2) [Label IP Address]
Referring URL:
(No referring link)
Visit Page:

Cookies OFF! Sneak mode ON! BROWSE!

I've got a sneaking suspicion that even you Googleons are (slowly, massively, and with much inertia) beginning to notice the perception that

YOU SUCK

you have some room for improvement 

you could stand to improve a bit

No, actually, you do pretty much suck


at bringing a product to market.

You're welcome.

No, actually, you're not.  My Nexus 4 is still broken.

And along the way we've noticed that

1) Google's Ecommerce sales infrastructure sucks
2) Google's QA sucks
3) Google's support sucks
4) Google's product feedback channels are non-existent
5) Google is slow to respond to trouble reports 

Other than that, you're doing a great job, keep up the good work!

--Doug

(BTW: When we say you are "slow" to respond to trouble reports, we mean slow as in "Glaciers progress down the mountain slowly", and not: "That little old lady with the cane sure is slow crossing the street.")

7 comments:

  1. I appreciate your posting about your experience with Android. I have been debating between Android and iOS as targets for some mobile software that I'm getting ready to write. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with Objective-C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have some proper perspective, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, you might want to look at the videos at www.rubymotion.com. You'd still have to grok the IOS APIs which are in Objective-C, but writing IOS apps in Ruby looks appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Of course, being a graying AI guy, what I'd *love* to be able to do is write [whatever]OS mobile apps in either Clojure or Common Lisp. Clojure should be possible on Android.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't prove that this is Google. For example the CA San Jose IP address was me. I only did that by accident while using Private Tunnel while trying to find out why the Wi-Fi on my new N4 didn't work. I used Private Tunnel to access Google Play market because my country isn't supported by Google Play. Things aren't always what they seem..

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the whole point, Viktor, you can't prove that it is Google. That's the whole point of stealthy browsing. It could have been anybody. It could have been you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I get what you mean. We need to spread the word about this Wi-Fi problem. Like I always do while picking a new phone the first thing I do is reading reviews, google all about the phone, pros and cons and I never saw anything about Wi-Fi problems until this happened to me. The N4 is a great phone in my opinion and everything about it is great except this particular problem. Today I tried connecting my phone to the school Wi-Fi and the internet worked like a charm, lightning speed and I was thrilled by the performance while browsing and looking for apps in the Google Play market and so on. On Monday I'm going to try a new router and hope that it will work. We need to spread the word tho, hopefully Google will do something about it than.

    ReplyDelete